Sunday, February 3, 2008

Superbowl celebrated with math

When i was accepted into the nursing program I did not realize that many American traditions would have to be celebrated in new ways for me. Today is superbowl sunday and while most people are watching the game and eating yummy snacks, i am trying to figure out the following problem:
ordered for a patient reads: 2mcg/kg
drug is available in : 100mcg/ml in prefilled 1ml vials
the patient ways: 132lbs
How many ml will I administer and how many vials will I need?

I don't mind doing math,I actually really like these kinds of problems. However tomorrow after my 8 hour shift at my clinical site i have to take a test over all sorts of medication calculations and conversion. But don't worry no pressure i only have to get 100% to be able to give patients medications this year. Luckly my instructor is really nice and i don't think he will fail us if we make a small mistake especailly because we just did an 8 hour shift.

This week will be VERY busy for me. I have two test on Wednesday over pathology and pharmacology. I also another 8 hour day of clinical on Thursday. This is more then most other clinical groups at our school have to do, but because of all the snow we have to make up last weeks clinical hours this week.

I guess I shouldn't complain, many people are working full time and going to school full time. I know i am increadibly lucky and whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger right?

Please pray for Henry and I this week. We both will be busy and when I get stressed I tend to take it out on him. Also pray that in the midst of all the crazyness this week we would not forget to spend time with our Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment